We are seeking a lead teacher for our toddler group. Applicants must be dedicated, enthusiastic, and nurturing individuals who have a passion for working with children. We offer a highly supportive work environment, classroom assistance, flexible hours, access to expert consultants for help with activity and lesson planning, competitive salary, and a classroom materials budget. Because of our cooperative structure, there will also be regular assistance from parents in the program. If the description below sounds like a good fit, we welcome your application to be a part of the Alif Schoolhouse family!
Guide and nurture learning
· Develops weekly plans and appropriate lesson plans to nurture and stimulate all areas of development for children in their care.
· Interact with children in a thoughtful and purposeful manner that supports and encourages play, exploration, and learning.
· Plan activities that facilitate the participation and growth of all children present, considering varying and developmental stages.
· Adapt routines and plans to the interests and needs of the individual child and the group.
· Systematically observe students and document their progress to share with families and guide instruction.
Collaborate and communicate with families
· Develops partnerships with parents and caregivers to engage and encourage parent participation in program.
· Contribute to weekly newsletter for families
· Work with children's families to ensure smooth transition from home to child care setting
· Meet with families individually before the start of the program
· Maintain ongoing, open lines of communication with families of enrolled children
· Plan periodic parent conferences to discuss children's developmental progress, needs and interests.
· Creating a positive learning environment in the classroom where children develop a lifelong love of learning
· Continually evaluate and improve the physical environment in the classroom to create opportunities to meet the changing needs of the developing child.
· Use budgeted funds to purchase needed supplies and materials
· Demonstrate cultural competency and respect for the child's background by incorporating the cultural, linguistic and familial values and beliefs into the childcare program and lesson plans.
· In accordance with our team philosophy, the person filling this position may occasionally be required to carry out or assist with other tasks in addition to the duties listed on this job description.
· Always act in accordance with the program's mission statement.
Required experience and qualifications
If your qualifications differ from those listed below, but you feel strongly that your experience and interests make you a good fit, we would still strongly encourage you to apply. Experience, dedication, and enthusiasm are the most valued qualifications for this position. If that sounds like you, we’d love to talk with you.
Lead Teacher Education Requirements:
· Associate's or Bachelor's degree
· Demonstrate interest in child development
· Good collaborative, leadership, and communication skills
· Early Childhood education: 1 year
· 2 years of related experience with children of any age
Qualifications preferred, but not required:
Familiarity with alternative approaches such as Montessori or Waldorf. Training or certification in these learning styles preferre, but not required. Six semester (or 9 quarter hours) must be from courses directly related to child care and/or child development.
Position Start Date: Fall 2017, with potential for part-time hours in Summer 2017
About Alif Schoolhouse
Alif Schoolhouse is a Muslim early childhood education cooperative program launched in 2013 and is located in historic Hyde Park. It began as the dream of a group of mothers who wanted their children to experience the nurturing and individualized learning experience of a homeschool, but also valued the expertise of a trained professional. The program serves as a ideal way to bridge the home and school experience. Toddlers attend daily with a group size limited to 8 or fewer children, usually ranging in age from 2-3 years old. Parents provide assistance to the teacher on a rotating schedule, as well as assist with other aspects of the program.
Please send your resume and cover letter to alif.recruitmentgmail.comfor consideration. We look forward to hearing from you!