Organization: Islamic Society of Central Virginia (ISCV)
Location: 708 Pine St. Charlottesville VA 22903
Status: Full-Time Salaried (40+ Hours per week)
Salary: $48,000 Per Year (subject to change based on qualifications and experience)
Starting Date: Immediate
About the Position: The ISCV is accepting applications for an immediate full-time Imam position. We are seeking a dynamic, outspoken, and motivated individual who takes proactive initiatives to serve the growing needs of the Muslim community. The Imam is expected to provide Islamic religious guidance, practices and leadership to the Muslim community in Charlottesville and surrounding localities in accordance to the teachings of the Holy Quran and the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). The Imam is to establish and promote educational and enrichment programs for adults, young adults (including recent graduates and college students), and the youth (K-12). In order to properly serve his role, the Imam is encouraged to have a good understanding of the current affairs and position of Muslims in Charlottesville.
The Imam is expected to cultivate a unified community, welcoming all Muslims from different backgrounds and cultures. As such, the position is to not discriminate against anyone based on Islamic school of jurisprudence, gender, race, nationality or ethnicity, citizenship status, political affiliation, or economic status. In addition to serving as a Muslim community leader, the Imam is required to foster and maintain relationships with the Charlottesville community at large, promoting friendship and understanding with other religious and faith groups. The Imam will report to the Board of Trustees, who are elected by the general ISCV members.
1. A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Islamic Studies or related field from an accredited higher education institution.
2. At least three (3) years of experience as a Muslim Community leader. Prior experience as an Imam recommended.
3. Comprehensive knowledge of Quran, Hadith and Seerah of Prophet (peace be upon him, Fiqh, and Islamic jurisprudence (law).
4. Fluency in English (verbal and written).
5. Highly encouraged fluency in Arabic (verbal and written).
6. Ability to recite the Quran with Tajweed fluency.
7. Ability to teach Quran and Islamic knowledge.
8. US citizen or permanent resident.
Required Personal Skills:
1. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
2. Motivational speaker with a dynamic personality.
3. Ability to interact and relate with people of ALL ages, including young adults, youth and especially undergraduate students.
4. Ability to work with individuals from different cultures and backgrounds (including financial).
5. Ability to interact in a positive way with non-Muslims and convey proper meaning of Islam.
1. Experience in family and youth counseling.
2. Experience in conflict resolution and prevention.
3. Memorization of Quran.
1. Lead the daily prayers.
2. Deliver weekly Khutbah and lead Friday (Jummah) Prayer.
3. Lead Taraweeh prayers in Ramadan.
4. Deliver Eid Khutbah and lead prayer.
5. Provide weekly educational classes on topics such as Quran and Hadith studies, Seerah and other Islamic topics to increase knowledge and spiritual growth of community.
6. Instruct community members in Tajweed and Quran memorization on an individual/group basis.
7. Be a mentor for the youth and young adults. Work closely with the Muslim Student Association to act as a guide, reference, and foster an inviting relationship.
8. Actively participate in outreach activities that the ISCV is involved. Develop good interfaith and public relations for Islam and Muslims.
9. Serve as an advisor to the Board of Trustees on religious matters, community and Mosque activities and other programs offered at the ISCV.
10. Maintain regular and convenient office hours at the Masjid.
11. Conduct adult, youth, marriage, and family counseling on an Islamic basis.
12. Perform Islamic matrimonial services.
13. Conduct Janaza and related funeral services.
14. The Imam is to conduct himself at all times in a manner that reflects positively on Muslims and the Mosque and that is respectful to the history and diversity of the Muslim community.
How to Apply: If you are interested in this opportunity, please send us a cover letter, resume, and three letters of recommendations to contactuscharlottesvillemasjid.com. It is preferable that the letters of recommendations are from those that have worked with you in the past in your capacity as an Imam or community leader. We wish to thank all applicants, those that qualify for an interview will be contacted for further instructions. Please note that we will require all invited applicants to undergo a background check prior to the interview visit.
Organization Profile: The Islamic Society of Central Virginia opened as a Masjid in 2012 for the Charlottesville Muslim community. Its purpose is to be used as a community center that provides a central location for Muslims to pray, learn, socialize and support each other. It is a worship space in which Muslims gather for their five daily prayers, weekly Friday (Jummah) prayers, and yearly Ramadan/Eid celebrations. It is also an educational center that offers weekly Islamic halaqas, Arabic classes, a Sunday School, a fully licensed daycare center, Boys and Girls scouts, evening youth tutoring, and English as a second language classes.
The ISCV has since its inception maintained a close relationship with Muslim college students attending the University of Virginia and other post-secondary schools. We have a large refugee community consisting to people from all around the world. We hold many social gatherings such as monthly potlucks as well as outreach events including open houses for other religious and faith organizations. The ISCV has been an active participant in numerous social justice and other community initiatives run by various faith groups in the area. The ISCV is recognized as a tax-exempt nonprofit organization under section 501© under the United States Internal Revenue Code.