PRIMARY PURPOSE: Provide guidance and counseling services conducive to all students achieving their individual potential academically, socially, and emotionally.
QUALIFICATIONS: Education/Certification: Bachelor’s Degree in Guidance and Counseling
Valid Texas counselor’s certificate (a plus)
Special Knowledge/Skills: Excellent communication skills and knowledge of the types of services provided by counselors
Technology skills including computer skills, Microsoft applications
Willingness to execute written employment contract
Experience: 1-2 years of practical experience in a public or private school
A.Academic Advising to all 9-12th grade students, specially
1. Register all 11th and 12th graders in dual credit classes in Richland College. Work with the Richland College Counselor on the following:
a) Create a list of required courses for High School diploma categorized as paid by
State vs. paid by Student
b) Create a list of recommended courses to be used as electives, categorized as paid by State vs. paid by Student.
c) Make sure that 11th graders don’t sign up for a course listed as second year college course by Richland College.
d) Make sure that Student have enough course load for the semester or have spread out over two years so as to graduate on time.
e) Make sure that Richland College starting times don’t overlap with the IQA classes.
f) Make sure that student’s first priority is to complete the High School requirement so as not to take classes just for Associates program and delay their High School graduation.
g) Once a student registration is sent to Richland, counselor must follow up with them regarding those classes and if there is any fees due or any other issue contact the student/parent immediately.
h) Maintain a list of recommended teachers at Richland for the relevant subjects like Math, English, History, Government and Economics. Update this list every semester based on teacher ratings and IQA student feedback.
2. Conduct long-range high school planning sessions with all students/parents in 9th, 10th & 11th grades to ensure student’s success in academics, college placement testing, and extracurricular activities.
3. Make sure all seniors and juniors are registered to take the SAT/ACT in a timely manner for college applications.
4. Help students with financial aid, loans and scholarship applications.
5. Write letters of recommendations for the students. Students need recommendations from IQA and Richland teachers.
6. PSAT: Help students in 7th grade and up in registering for PSAT and administering the test.
7. Recruit and schedule guest speakers to come on IQA campus for leadership lecture series days, at least twice a month, and career day(spring)/campus visit(fall) for seniors.
8. Help motivate students to do community service activities (Helping Hands, Islamic Relief/Day of Dignity, Senior Homes, Red Cross Blood Drives, etc). Schedule should be complete before the school year begins.
9. Organize and execute graduation ceremonies for seniors, including the devising the program, making reservations, arrange for speakers, seniors’ pictures, etc.
10. Establish new student activities and arrange good field trips for juniors and seniors.
11. Chaperon 11th and 12th grades on community activities and any field trips.
12. Help students to enroll/participate in honor society and similar programs.
13. Attend seminars/webinars for self-professional growth.
14. Must be willing to accommodate hours to meet with working parents.
B.Other Administrative Responsibilities (Summer):
Note: during the summer counselor needs to coordinate vacation time with the main school administrator to make sure there will be administrative staff at all times.
1. Admissions (including: receiving applications, collecting fees, handling admission tests, communicating with new parents, maintaining new student records)
2. Events coordination: Planning for: IQA fundraising, PSIA participation, help with science fair, history fair, and other school events.
3. Grades 11th and 12th homeroom teacher
4. Adviser for Student Council
5. Responsible for school image/marketing with Marketing Team
6. Maintaining IQA Web site and Facebook page (also get on other social media)
7. Help IQA to acquire various grants
8. Establish 7th through 12th grade school wide new student activities and arrange field trips
9. Any other administrative responsibilities as assigned by supervisor