Position Summary: The ideal candidate will play a vital role in providing a comprehensive guidance program which meets the needs of the school. The counselor will play a key role in promoting and enhancing academic, personal, social, and career development of all students according to the policies and procedures set by the school advisory board and administration.
- Design, evaluate and implement the school guidance curriculum in-line with the school's goals and objectives.
- Facilitate and incorporate the guidance curriculum into the educational curricula based on the school calendar. Maintain a calendar of activities and services of the school counseling program and plan events accordingly.
- Conduct classroom guidance lessons with each class and every student in the school regarding decision-making skills, feelings, interpersonal relationships, communication skills, career exploration, conflict management, problem solving and personal safety
- Provide crisis counseling, small group counseling, individual counseling and referral to agencies as appropriate.
- Manages and communicates a clear means for counseling referrals and other access to counseling services.
- Chairs and manages Student Support Team.
- Monitors student academic performance, behavioral and attendance and assists with appropriate interventions
- Compile, maintain and file all required physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents to help route children to proper classes, testing, tutoring, counseling services, medical services, and social services, so that each child can achieve optimum academic and social development.
- Engage in dialogue with parents in reference to child academic and social need, provide parenting skill training as appropriate to help their children. Conduct and facilitate conferences with teachers, students, and parents.
- Develop and coordinate a continuing evaluation of guidance programs and make changes based on findings.
- Conduct a yearly program audit to review the extent of program implementation.
- Collaborate with other educators in the school wide integration of Islam across the curriculum.
- Assist teachers in how to use the school guidance curriculum in lesson plans and provide applicable materials and resources.
- Conduct orientation activities for new students.
- Consult with and serve as a resource for teachers, staff, and parents regarding the developmental needs of students.
Conduct in-service programs for faculty and staff.
- Lead and conduct structured, goal-oriented counseling sessions in response to identified needs of individuals and groups of students.
- Model appropriate behavior with student, parent and colleague interactions.
- Refer students and their parents to community agencies, programs, or specialists as appropriate for character development.
- Perform responsibilities in an organized, accurate, timely and dependable manner.
- Comply with all policies established by federal and state law as well as board policy.
- Provide support for other school and district programs and personnel.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education/Training (Requisite Skills and Training) :
- A Bachelor's degree in Education, Developmental Psychology or related Field. Master's degree a plus. 3 years classroom experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to interact and communicate effectively with students, staff, and parents
- Demonstrated ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
Experience in implementing guidance and social development programs in school.
- Must be self-motivated and able to respond quickly and effectively to changing priorities.
- Solid written, oral and presentation skills. Must be a proficient MS Office user.
- Must have a strong sense of ownership over projects and tasks, be able to track team progress to ensure completion.
- Should be flexible with work schedule to work weekend and evening hours as required.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Successful candidate must be able to pass a background check and drug test.