This position manages the library collection and performs a variety of media center responsibilities,
including working with groups of students in developing media skills and maintaining the school’s
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties of this position include the following. Employees in this position perform some or all of
the following tasks. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Follows and maintains knowledge of all District policy(ies) and procedures.
2. Troubleshoots all audio-visual (A/V) equipment.
3. Knows and uses Dewey Decimal System.
4. Catalogs and processes new books and equipment.
5. Repairs, covers and binds damaged books.
6. Screens, selects, orders, organizes and circulates all types of instructional material(s) and
7. Encourages staff and students to access library/media center and its resources.
8. Plans, develops and encourages selection and purchase of age/interest appropriate literary and
media materials in collaboration with students and staff.
9. Evaluates continuously the media program and plans ahead for future growth and development
with the building administration and teachers.
10. Supervises students during library visits.
11. Prepares materials as needed for instruction.
12. Processes check-ins and check-outs of books, periodicals, reference materials and audio-visual
(A/V) equipment to staff and students before, during and after school.
13. Coordinates and sets-up of special events and book fairs in the library.
14. Works with students in groups or individuals in the development of media and computer skills
through help with reference work, selection of books and online reference searches.
15. Maintains circulation records for library books, reference materials, periodicals and textbook
16. Inventories, orders and stocks library supplies, as needed.
17. Maintains current records, tracking over-due and lost books, creating accounts for patrons and
managing student library cards.
18. Performs general office duties including answering phones, directing calls and taking messages as
appropriate, greeting the public, typing, copying, filing, sorting materials and general
19. Takes all responsible precautions to provide for health and safety of the students and to protect
equipment, materials and facilities.
20. Promptly reports any serious accident or illness affecting students in the teacher’s charge or any
incident which might affect the school, teachers or students therein.
21. Assists administration in implementing policies and rules governing student life and conduct.
22. Professionally represents the school and the District in interactions with parents, staff and
students and resolves conflict in a professional manner.
Librarian/Media Specialist – High School Page 2
23. Maintains appropriate certifications and training hours as required.
24. Complies with applicable District, state, local and federal laws, rules and regulations.
25. Attends work regularly and is punctual.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Â Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) or equivalent from four-year
college or university or equivalent. Master’s degree (M.S. in Library Media or a (M.L.S.)
Masters of Library Science) or equivalent strongly preferred. Must be highly qualified under
the reauthorized ESEA. Prior successful experience working in a library or school setting and
teaching students strongly preferred.
Â Computer Skills: General knowledge of computer usage and ability to use database
software, accounting software, internet software, e-mail, spreadsheets and word processing
software. Ability to provide basic computer, A/V equipment and hardware troubleshooting.
Ability to proficiently use the following programs strongly preferred: MS Word, MS Excel,
Google Documents, and MS Outlook. Ability to type accurately and proficiently.
Submit your Employment Application:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee
is frequently required to walk; stand; sit; use hands for fine manipulation, handle or feel and reach with
hands and arms using a keyboard and video display terminal. The employee is occasionally required to
stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally
up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, ability
to adjust focus and peripheral vision
By Email: Please complete the employment application and email along with your resume to: hirebhaprep.org
To download Application, visit: https://www.bhaprep.org/careers/