Full Time Imam/Religious Scholar Position
Islamic Association of Greater Memphis (IAGM) invites outstanding applications for Imam/Scholar position at Masjid Ar-Rahman. Founded in 2014 and capable of accommodating 1,300 worshipers, Masjid Ar-Rahman is currently one of the largest in the Mid-South. An adjacent 27,500 sq ft facility is anticipated to open in 2020 and will add a gymnasium, daycare, commercial kitchen; 12 classrooms; and a youth lounge. IAGM also administrates Masjid Al-Noor, which serves the University of Memphis area, and works in partnership with other organizations to serve Muslims in and around Memphis Area. Our five core commitments are towards faith, family, youth, community, and our society at large. We are seeking an imam and/or scholar-in-residence whose energy, vision, and leadership will channel the tremendous potential of Masjid Ar-Rahman towards nurturing our vibrant community. Candidates should be committed to establishing a strong personal presence at the masjid and the desire to remain with our organization for long term.
The following are minimum qualifications to be considered:
• Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
• Formal training in Islamic Studies from an accredited or renowned program
• Fluency in English and proficiency in Arabic (written and spoken)
• Mastery of Qur’anic recitation (required) and hifz (preferred)
• At least 4 years of experience as an imam or scholar in a Western country
• Detailed knowledge of Islamic law & theology with the ability to interpret fatawa in modern social contexts
• Demonstrable work with youth as well as with people of diverse cultures & backgrounds
• Strong communication skills
• The ability to work legally in the US
Our Imam’s responsibilities will include:
• Leading daily, Jum’ah, and Eid prayers
• Establishing programs which target youth, families, and new Muslims
• Participating in community outreach that advances interfaith and public relations
• Conducting matrimonial services • Offering basic religious counseling
• Collaborating with imams from all Memphis masaajid as well as the IAGM leadership
Please apply by sending (1) a short narrative of your experience and aspirations, (2) a curriculum vitae that contains a complete timeline of education and employment, (3) English & Arabic recordings of khutbahs and lectures, and (4) three references to careersmasjid-arrahman.org. Select candidates will be interviewed by telephone.
Finalists will be invited to give a khutbah that incorporates English and Arabic at Masjid Ar-Rahman, as well as halaqas for sisters and youth.
For more information, please visit: